I have complied with the requirements of the Beef Data and Genomics Programme (BDGP) in terms of possessing a bull that is genotyped four or five stars up until my bull got injured and was slaughtered in December. I have since decided that I am not going to put cows back in calf this year. Do I need to have a bull on the farm regardless of this to meet scheme requirements?

BDGP requires a herd using a stock bull to have an eligible stock bull on 30 June 2020. Where a herdowner has decided not to put their cows back in calf this year then they are making a decision to “get out” of suckler cows before the programme ends. Farmers will have to talk to DAFM in such cases.