Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP)

If you are made unemployed as result of the pandemic, you can apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP).

Both employed and self-employed individuals, including farmers, are eligible for the payment once they meet certain criteria, including being aged between 18 and 66 years old.

However, in all circumstances, you must show that you are genuinely seeking work and it is more likely that part-time farmers with off-farm jobs will apply for the payment.

Payment is made at four tiered rates, starting at €350/week based on a previous salary of over €400/week and gradually decreasing.

The PUP is paid weekly and you are entitled to apply for it on the day after your last day of work.

Enhanced Illness Benefit

If a worker is told to self-isolate, or tests positive for COVID-19, they can apply for the Enhanced Illness Benefit payment of €350/week.

The payment is available to employed and self-employed workers. To be eligible for payment, you must be between 18 and 66 and have a medical certificate called a “Certificate of incapacity for work” from your doctor or a text or letter notification from the HSE to support your application.

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, the payment is paid for the duration stated on your medical certificate, or a maximum of 10 weeks.

If you are self-isolating, the payment is paid for maximum of two weeks, but this can be extended for another fortnight if you are told to continue self-isolating.


The quickest way to apply for either the PUP or the Enhanced Illness Benefit is through You will need your MyGovID account and your correct bank details. You can also request a postal application form by emailing