Here in Irish Country Living, we love trying new products, especially when they are produced in Ireland.
An interesting jar came to our attention, Chicory root syrup. While we love to support our Irish honey producers, this is an interesting product, made from chicory root, which is low in sugar.
Produced by Homespun, which was founded by Erica Sheehan, the product is bottled in Co Kildare.
What is it?
So what is Chicory root syrup? It’s a low-sugar, low-glycemic index syrup, which is gently extracted from fresh chicory roots - one of the richest natural sources of prebiotic fibre.
It contains less than 1g of natural sugars per teaspoon, which, to put in context, is up to 70% less sugar than honey, maple and agave, so it’s ideal for anyone monitoring sugar intake, including diabetics. Even the taste is light and delicate.
Homespun Chicory root syrup has just launched into 67 Tesco Ireland stores nationwide and is also available online at www.homespun.ie where a pack of two costs €10.
Homespun also offers a range of quinoa crunch granolas, handmade in Co Cork.
80g Homespun Chicory root syrup
240g peanut butter
40g coconut oil, melted
150g gluten-free oats ground to a flour consistency in your blender or food processor
Pinch of salt
100g dark chocolate chopped
15g coconut oil
Toasted coconut flakes / chopped nuts for topping
1. Line a loaf tin or 8in square tin.
2. Mix together Chicory root syrup, peanut butter and the melted coconut oil in a large bowl.
3. Once combined, add the oat flour and salt.
4. Add the mixture to your prepared tin and spread evenly, pressing it down so the surface is smooth.
5. Leave to set in the fridge for at least an hour before topping with your chocolate layer.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie or in a heat-safe bowl or jug in the microwave in 30-second increments.
7. Mix in the coconut oil, which will melt in the heat of chocolate. Pour chocolate over the fudge layer.
8. Sprinkle with toasted coconut or chopped nuts.
9. Leave to set for at least one further hour before slicing into bars of your desired size.
10. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks in a sealed container. Enjoy!