Exports of beef China were suspended since November until Wednesday's announcement.
ADVERTISEMENT
Meat Industry Ireland (MII) has hailed the lifting of China’s temporary ban on Irish beef, announced on Wednesday, as a significant development for trade.
China’s November 2023 move to suspend Irish beef shipments was a “regrettable setback” for exporters looking to tap into Chinese markets, the ibec processor group has said.
Exports to China were suspended as a precautionary measure in November after a single case of atypical BSE was found in a 10-year-old cow
ADVERTISEMENT
The suspension came in the middle of exporters’ efforts to strengthen beef trading links with Chinese buyers, MII stated.
Director of MII Dale Crammond commented that regaining access to China had been a “strategic priority” for meat factories.
“[MII’s] members will now focus on reestablishing contacts with customers in China with a view to recommencing trade as soon as possible,” Crammond said.
The processor group had previously stated that the 2% rise in the value of beef exports shown in Bord Bia’s export report for 2023 highlights the “robustness of the Irish beef sector in international export markets”.
This content is available to digital subscribers and loyalty code users only. Sign in to your account, use the code or subscribe to get unlimited access.
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
CODE ACCEPTED
You have full access to the site until next Wednesday at 9pm.
CODE NOT VALID
Please try again or contact support.
Meat Industry Ireland (MII) has hailed the lifting of China’s temporary ban on Irish beef, announced on Wednesday, as a significant development for trade.
China’s November 2023 move to suspend Irish beef shipments was a “regrettable setback” for exporters looking to tap into Chinese markets, the ibec processor group has said.
Exports to China were suspended as a precautionary measure in November after a single case of atypical BSE was found in a 10-year-old cow
The suspension came in the middle of exporters’ efforts to strengthen beef trading links with Chinese buyers, MII stated.
Director of MII Dale Crammond commented that regaining access to China had been a “strategic priority” for meat factories.
“[MII’s] members will now focus on reestablishing contacts with customers in China with a view to recommencing trade as soon as possible,” Crammond said.
The processor group had previously stated that the 2% rise in the value of beef exports shown in Bord Bia’s export report for 2023 highlights the “robustness of the Irish beef sector in international export markets”.
If you would like to speak to a member of our team, please call us on 01-4199525.
Link sent to your email address
We have sent an email to your address. Please click on the link in this email to reset your password. If you can't find it in your inbox, please check your spam folder. If you can't find the email, please call us on 01-4199525.
ENTER YOUR LOYALTY CODE:
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
SHARING OPTIONS