CF Industries, the US agricultural fertiliser maker, has agreed to acquire the European and North American assets of Dutch rival OCI in an $8bn deal that will create one of the largest nitrogen fertiliser makers in the world.

CF will hold a 72.3% stake in the new entity, with the remaining 27.7% under the control of OCI.