While many of us prefer a natural make-up look during the year, the Christmas party season really is a time when you can go all out and try that smoky eye or bright red lip. However, it can be daunting to know where to start, which is why I’ve created this step-by-step guide to creating fun party make-up that is flattering and long-lasting. Enjoy!
Dolly’s make-up bag
Here is a list of products that I used to create this party look, but of course you can work with what is in your own make-up bag. However, I would always recommend investing in a set of make-up brushes and a mirror with good lighting, as well as keeping some cotton buds and cleanser on standby to clear up any spills. Also give yourself a good half hour so that you are not rushing once you have your nails and blow-dry done, using a Velcro roller if necessary to keep any stray hair out of the way.
1. Applying a primer first is very important, as it gets rid of any fine lines and helps make-up stay in place. Max Factor Smooth Miracle primer is one of my favourites.
2. When applying party make-up, I always start with the eyes to avoid any spillages spoiling your foundation. To create this easy smoke eye, I used the Charlotte Tilbury “Vintage Vamp” shadow palette as it contains autumnal shades with a bit of shimmer, suitable for all ages and eye colours. Starting with the lightest shade, load an eyeshadow brush and tap it gently all over the eyelid.
3. Next, take the bronze eyeshadow shade and lightly dab it along the edge of the eye socket, as pictured. Then take a clean brush and blend gently, taking care not to go beyond the eyebrow line.
4. I’m a fan of gel eyeliner pots as they are waterproof and long-lasting. Using a very fine eyeliner brush, start from the inner corner of the eye and work along the upper lash line, remembering that less is more. Keep the line as near to the eye lashes as possible. Once dry, you can smooth it over with the tip of a cotton bud.
TOP TIP: If you have any spill or splodge while applying your liner, wait for it to dry and then wipe it off gently with a cotton bud dipped in cleanser.
5. When applying mascara, I always apply one coat, leave it to dry and then apply a second. One of my favourite mascaras at the moment is L.O.V Guilteyes fan effect mascara. Apply to both the top and bottom lashes.
6. If you want to apply false eyelashes, a top tip is to cut them almost in half before you start. This will make them easier to handle and still give you that “party look” by adding extra volume to the outer edge of the eye.
7. Following the instructions on the back of the packet on how to apply the eyelash glue, place the lashes gently in the middle of your own lash line, using a clean cotton bud to press gently in place. Once dry, lightly apply a coat of mascara to set the fake lashes with your own lashes.