Mondelez has pulled away from its planned takeover of Hersheys.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mondelez International, the company behind the Cadbury and Oreo brands, has pulled back from its pursuit of US confectionary maker Hershey after its latest takeover advances were rebuffed.
Mondelez first made overtures towards acquiring Hershey back in June with a $23bn offer but the takeover bid was unanimously rejected. Mondelez has made further unsuccessful offers in the interim with its latest offer of more than $24bn (€22bn) also rejected last week. It is believed Hershey is only willing to entertain a starting bid above the $26bn mark.
However, in a statement this week, Mondelez said there was “no actionable path forward” towards finding a suitable takeover agreement between both companies and was pulling back from a deal. Any tie-up between the two confectionary giants would have created by far the world’s largest sweet and chocolate company.
ADVERTISEMENT
Register for free to read this story and our free stories.
This content is available to digital subscribers and loyalty code users only. Sign in to your account, use the code or subscribe to get unlimited access.
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
CODE ACCEPTED
You have full access to the site until next Wednesday at 9pm.
CODE NOT VALID
Please try again or contact support.
Mondelez International, the company behind the Cadbury and Oreo brands, has pulled back from its pursuit of US confectionary maker Hershey after its latest takeover advances were rebuffed.
Mondelez first made overtures towards acquiring Hershey back in June with a $23bn offer but the takeover bid was unanimously rejected. Mondelez has made further unsuccessful offers in the interim with its latest offer of more than $24bn (€22bn) also rejected last week. It is believed Hershey is only willing to entertain a starting bid above the $26bn mark.
However, in a statement this week, Mondelez said there was “no actionable path forward” towards finding a suitable takeover agreement between both companies and was pulling back from a deal. Any tie-up between the two confectionary giants would have created by far the world’s largest sweet and chocolate company.
If you would like to speak to a member of our team, please call us on 01-4199525.
Link sent to your email address
We have sent an email to your address. Please click on the link in this email to reset your password. If you can't find it in your inbox, please check your spam folder. If you can't find the email, please call us on 01-4199525.
ENTER YOUR LOYALTY CODE:
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
SHARING OPTIONS