Balmoral Show has been postponed due to concerns over the coronavirus until August.
In a statement, the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society (RUAS) said the show would be rescheduled for Wednesday 19 to Saturday 22 of August.
“We are currently in uncertain times following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 and the health of our stakeholders and visitors remains our key priority,” a spokesperson for RUAS said.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Many pedigree breeders will be disappointed with the news
Balmoral Show is a huge fixture in many farmers’ diaries and the largest agricultural show in Northern Ireland. It saw a record number of people in attendance last year, with over 120,000 people over four days.
The last time it was cancelled was during the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001.
Many pedigree breeders will be disappointed with the news, while some will also be concerned that the new Balmoral schedule clashes with Virginia Show on Friday 21 August.
The Ulster Farmers’ Union (UFU) has also announced the suspension of all its internal meetings due to health and safety concerns.
“We are disappointed to have reached this outcome, but the safety of our members and staff is our number one priority,” UFU president Ivor Ferguson said.
Coronavirus: mart and farming updates as they happen
Minister Creed thanks farmers for putting food on the country’s tables
Dairy sector working to ‘keep the milk moving’