Traffic management at this year’s Ploughing site were forced to close the site to incoming traffic for 60 minutes this afternoon after chaotic traffic queues engulfed the Tullamore site.
Pictures taken at the site show streams of cars and vehicles on the walkways, with one eyewitness there describing the scene as “carnage”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Only outgoing traffic was allowed during the closure to give traffic management a chance to clear the site. Incoming vehicles were directed to nearby car parks and were told to wait there until further notice.
One visitor to the site told the Irish Farmers Journal that they had been stuck in the same spot for over two hours and had not moved. “It looks as if far too much travel was let in. There was no one asking where people were going or if they needed to be in at all. The lane ways are packed with cars.”
A statement from the National Ploughing Association said: "At 2.30pm the Ploughing site restricted access to all vehicles for one hour due to the volume of exhibitors arriving at the same time. The site was fully reopened at 3.30pm with exhibitors moving freely around the site once again."
The Ploughing kicks off tomorrow morning in Screggan, Tullamore, with over 300,000 visitors expected to flock to the three-day event.
This content is available to digital subscribers and loyalty code users only. Sign in to your account, use the code or subscribe to get unlimited access.
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
CODE ACCEPTED
You have full access to the site until next Wednesday at 9pm.
CODE NOT VALID
Please try again or contact support.
Traffic management at this year’s Ploughing site were forced to close the site to incoming traffic for 60 minutes this afternoon after chaotic traffic queues engulfed the Tullamore site.
Pictures taken at the site show streams of cars and vehicles on the walkways, with one eyewitness there describing the scene as “carnage”.
Only outgoing traffic was allowed during the closure to give traffic management a chance to clear the site. Incoming vehicles were directed to nearby car parks and were told to wait there until further notice.
One visitor to the site told the Irish Farmers Journal that they had been stuck in the same spot for over two hours and had not moved. “It looks as if far too much travel was let in. There was no one asking where people were going or if they needed to be in at all. The lane ways are packed with cars.”
A statement from the National Ploughing Association said: "At 2.30pm the Ploughing site restricted access to all vehicles for one hour due to the volume of exhibitors arriving at the same time. The site was fully reopened at 3.30pm with exhibitors moving freely around the site once again."
The Ploughing kicks off tomorrow morning in Screggan, Tullamore, with over 300,000 visitors expected to flock to the three-day event.
If you would like to speak to a member of our team, please call us on 01-4199525.
Link sent to your email address
We have sent an email to your address. Please click on the link in this email to reset your password. If you can't find it in your inbox, please check your spam folder. If you can't find the email, please call us on 01-4199525.
ENTER YOUR LOYALTY CODE:
The reader loyalty code gives you full access to the site from when you enter it until the following Wednesday at 9pm. Find your unique code on the back page of Irish Country Living every week.
SHARING OPTIONS