Tighter mart safety to play key role in reducing insurance costs
FBD and mart managers held a meeting today to discuss the issue of rising insurance premiums with neither side happy with existing conditions.

The Irish Co-operative Organisation Society (ICOS) and FBD are to work together to tackle the issue of increasing insurance premiums for livestock marts with mart lockdowns a key emphasis.

At a meeting held this morning (4 February), mart managers where presented with FBD’s mart claims experience and challenges over the last five years in relation to claims.

ICOS’s Ray Doyle said marts could not operate in an environment of unsustainable premiums and, on the same hand, FBD “cannot be expected to subsidise claims arising at a significant and recurring loss to them, which we acknowledge is the case”.

FBD chief commercial officer John Cahalan acknowledged the challenges facing marts but reaffirmed his company’s commitment to work with ICOS to reduce the frequency and severity of mart accidents.

Safety

Doyle said ICOS had worked with FBD for the past three years to try find solutions which could help tackle the rising cost of mart insurance. He added that ICOS looked forward to reduced premiums in the “not so distant future” when claims reduced through various measures that are being taken.

FBD indicated that although still in its infancy, mart lockdown where implemented and enforced held the most potential to eliminate accidents that frequently occur at marts.

Doyle said: “I am confident that the measures being taken collectively by marts throughout Ireland will help to enhance overall health and safety while reducing cost, claim severity and the frequency of accidents.

Mart lockdown

“Mart lockdown has a role to play in this regard, and so too does increased supervision and assistance during sale days in marts where full lockdown has not yet been enacted.”

He said measures such as professional training in livestock management for drovers along with signage and announcements to remind farmers that safety comes first had also helped.

“The public attending marts must also be willing to play their part in a changed health and safety landscape and co-operate fully with mart staff and with any new procedures that are in place,” said Doyle.

Read more

Finance minister ‘hopeful’ of lower mart insurance

Mart insurance: Minister asked the wolf how the chickens were doing

The farmer's daily wrap: inspections, milk price and silage 2019
Here is your news round-up of the five top farming stories and weather outlook for 16 February 2019.

Weather forecast

Met Éireann has said that there will be some mist or drizzle at times on Saturday morning, but most places will be dry during the day.

More general rain is forecast to develop along the west coast by evening.

It will be mild and breezy, with highs of 10°C to 12°C in southerly winds.

In the news

  • In pictures: silage 2019 kicks off in February in Kilkenny.
  • The board of Aurivo met on Friday and increased its January milk price.
  • Farmers are being driven out of business by over-zealous and unaccountable inspectors, Sinn Féin MEP Liadh Ní Riada has said.
  • Applications for the BEEP scheme, which has a funding provision of €20m, will be accepted up to and including next Friday 22 February.
  • Some 66 projects from across the country will be allocated funding of €62m under the €1bn rural regeneration and development fund.
  • Coming up this Saturday

  • Good week/bad week.
  • Nathan Tuffy reports from Balla Mart.
    Fly-tippers return to burn rubbish to prevent identification
    A farmer who spoke out against illegal dumping and promised to search bags to find the culrpits spurred those responsible to return and burn out the rubbish.

    A farmer who said he would search through illegally dumped rubbish on his farm found it burnt to ashes when he returned two days later.

    Speaking on RTE’s Countrywide earlier in the year, tillage and livestock farmer Michael Doran from Co Wexford said he was targeted on two separate occasions by dumpers after Christmas.

    Bags of rubbish, mattresses, old clothes, children’s toys and household appliances were among the items dumped. At the time, Doran said it was his intention to search the bags in an effort to identify those responsible.

    I went down on the Monday and someone had put a match to it and burnt all the rubbish

    However, after the show aired on Saturday, and in a bid to prevent identification, the rubbish was reduced to a pile of ashes and burnt metal.

    “I went down on the Monday and someone had put a match to it and burnt all the rubbish,” Michael said.

    He said the farm had been preparing for calving and it had been a struggle to find the time to conduct the search.

    Men in vans

    Michael said there were a number of theories about where the rubbish had come from. Some people said they had seen adverts on various platforms from men in vans offering to take rubbish away for €25 to €30.

    “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true,” Michael warned. “That rubbish is being offloaded on properties like mine.”

    In a bid to tackle the issue, county councils are to introduce an inspection system similar to the TV licence. Homeowners will be asked to produce evidence that they are disposing of their waste legally to cut down on “men in vans”-type operations.

    Read more

    In pictures: 'It turns my stomach' – farmer victim of fly-tipping

    It’s time to get tough on illegal dumping – IFA

    Foot and mouth disease found in Australian airport seizures
    A number of products seized at Australian airports since December last year have tested positive for foot and mouth disease.

    Pork jerky, sausages and other pork products were seized by officials from the Australian Department of Agriculture in airports in the last three months.

    Two samples tested positive for foot and mouth disease, while one tested inconclusive. In total, more than 280 samples were tested for the disease to date this year.

    African Swine Fever was also detected in six of the December samples and 40 of this year’s samples, according to a report by ABC news.

    Agriculture Minister David Littleproud said that he “won't tolerate travellers risking Australian farming.”

    Cost

    It is estimated that a foot and mouth outbreak could cost Australia’s livestock industry up to $60bn.

    "[If] borders close we can't trade live animals, we can't send meat products out of the country except to other countries that have FMD,” biosecurity expert and Melbourne University professor Tom Kompas said.

    The Victoria Farmer’s Federation said that penalties need to be more severe on people who bring in biosecurity hazards.

    Read more

    Farmer Writes: we've lost 1,000 cattle to floods and cold