The average price paid for agricultural land in Fermanagh during 2021 stood at £6,477/acre. The price is up by 12%, or £701/acre, on the 2020 average of £5,776/acre.

Fermanagh continues to have a mixture of land types on the market, and poorer quality land plays a significant role in keeping the average price below other NI counties.

Across the island of Ireland, Fermanagh ranks in 29th position for land price. When converted into euro at €7,535/acre, the Erne county is on par with other western counties, such as Roscommon (€7,968/acre) and Galway (€7,264/acre).

Nevertheless, land prices in Fermanagh still rose last year and a tighter supply of land coming on the market was a key influence. Our records show 1,745 acres were publicly advertised for sale last year. This represents a decrease of 25%, or 598 acres, on the year previous. The area for sale equates to 0.66% of the county’s agricultural area.

There was also a drop in the number of properties that were offered up for sale. In 2021, only 49 farms were advertised for sale in Fermanagh, meaning the average lot size was 36 acres. This compares to 69 lots with an average size of 34 acres the year previous.

Dwelling houses or building sites were included with 31% of agricultural properties that were offered up for sale in the county during 2021, meaning 69% of lots were non-residential farms.

The top price recorded in our survey was over £10,500/acre for a 15-acre block in the middle of the county. The lowest price was £4,267/acre for a 40-acre block in the same area.

Prices around £6,000/acre are relatively common in Fermanagh, and our analysis indicated that 64% of surveyed sales fell into the £9,000/acre or less bracket. The remaining 36% of farmland sales were in the £9,001-£12,000/acre window.