Some 230 organic farmers have yet to receive their advance payments from the Department of Agriculture.

The Department announced that payments valuing €6.1m have issued to 1,300 farmers, leaving the remaining 15% of farmers in the scheme waiting to be paid. Payments are expected to continue throughout the rest of the year.

Organic scheme

“The Organic Farming Scheme is one of our most successful schemes under our current Rural Development Programme and it has more than achieved its targets in terms of land converted and maintained for organics,” the minister in charge of the organic scheme Andrew Doyle said. He stated that payments were being made “ahead of schedule”.

An advance payment represents 85% of the overall payment, with the remaining 15% due in the new year.

Read more

IFA targets Tesco in third retailer protest

Doyle ‘fully expects’ organic scheme in next CAP