Summer time is upon us and if we dare to invite friends over to dine outside, this is the dish to serve! This is especially good with a chilled glass of white wine.
You will need:
- 4 Hake fillets, pin boned with skin on
- Poaching Liquid of 200ml white wine, 200ml fish stock, lemon Juice, Dill & Fennel Stalks,
- 1 Courgette, 1 carrot & 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1 Orange
- Hand full of Walnuts,
- Walnut oil
- Maple Syrup
- 1 lemon (half for the poaching stock, half for the vinaigrette)
- Touch of Maldon salt
1. To make the poaching liquid, put the wine, fish stock, lemon juice, dill and fennel stalks into a large pot. When it comes to the boil, turn down to a gentle simmer and let the flavours infuse. Note: you can use water if you don’t want the fuss of Fish Stock, but it adds greatly to the taste of the Hake!
2. Simple julienne the courgette, carrot & fennel and pop them in the pot, blanching for 2 minutes and then remove.
3. Then add the fish fillets, they will take about 3-5 minutes depending on their size – remember, when they become soft they are cooked so don’t overdo it.
4. Make the vinaigrette for the salad by segmenting the orange, pop them in a small bowl with a little juice, add 50ml of Walnut oil, a little lemon juice, a touch of maple syrup, a few roughly chopped walnuts and a touch of Maldon salt.
5. Mix the julienne vegetables with the vinaigrette and pop on to a large serving plate, topping with the poached hake – the flavours will speak for themselves!