It’s hard to believe now but right up to the late 1970s parts of Ireland were still in the dark, awaiting the arrival of rural electrification.

The roll out of this essential infrastructure began in 1946 with the first lights being turned on in Killsallaghan, north Dublin on 5 November 1946. The work would continue until the late 1970s when the lights were turned on in the Black Valley, Co Kerry, the last of the 792 areas to be connected.