Some €452m in advance payments under the Basic Income Support for Sustainability (BISS) and Complementary Redistributive Income Support for Sustainability (CRISS) schemes have been issued to 103,764 farmers.

The payments, worth an average of €4,356 per farmer, will begin arriving in farmers' bank accounts over the coming days.

The advance payment rate is at 70%, with the remaining 30% of the BISS and CRISS payment for each farmer to follow.

In previous years, greening payments would have issued with the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) and for this year, 2023 payments under the new Eco-Schemes will commence from next week.

Minister McConalogue announced that the payments were issued on Tuesday. \ Brian Farrell

The Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConalogue confirmed that the BISS and CRISS payments had issued on Tuesday.

“This is the second October Tuesday of three that advance payments are issuing to farm families the length and breadth of Ireland,” he said, adding that this CRISS and BISS payment run equates to approximately 90% of applicants that are currently eligible.

“I know just how crucial these payments are for family farm income, but I also recognise how important they are to businesses across the country bringing a welcome boost in cashflow to the rural economy,” he explained.


The minister noted that the Department of Agriculture will continue to process, as a matter of urgency, all remaining farmer cases for CRISS and BISS payment as they meet scheme criteria.

Farmers can contact the Department's helpdesk for assistance. \ Claire Nash

He encouraged farmers with outstanding requests for documentation from the department to take immediate action to allow payments to issue.

Payments under the 2023 Areas of Natural Constraints Scheme (ANC), which started last week, are also continuing as more cases are cleared for payment, he added.


To facilitate farmers wishing to contact the Department regarding their BISS or ANC payments, extended hours are in place for the Direct Payments Helpdesk.

From today (Tuesday 24 October) to Friday 27 October, the helpdesk will be available up to 8.30pm. Farmers can ring the helpdesk at 057-8674422. Farmers can also submit any queries they may have online.